The Government of Mauritius decided to provide financial support to Small and Medium Enterprises (SMEs) for the payment of Salary Compensation 2021 for the months of January to June 2021.
The Mauritius Revenue Authority (MRA) in a communique released late January, announced more details on the financial assistance and the eligibility criteria.
It should be noted that the salary compensation for the year 2021 is Rs 375.
This is applicable to employees earning a basic salary of up to Rs 50,000.
Amount of Financial Assitance
There are two possible sceanarios where a refund is possible.
Where the SME is NOT an export Enterprise, Rs 375 for each full-time employee earning a basic wage or salary of up to Rs 50,375.
Where the enterprise is an Export Enterprise, Rs 235 for each full-time Mauritian employee earning a basic wage or salary of up to Rs 50,235.
Note: For Export Enterprises, the MRA will pay an amount of Rs 140, being part of the salary compensation for 2021, as special allowance directly into the bank account of the Mauritian employee.
Note 2: Export Enterprises are required to submit a Special Allowance Statement (SPAS) every month, on or before the 20th, giving the details of:
• Mauritian employees deriving a basic wage or salary of up to Rs 50,235
• Expatriate employees deriving a basic wage or salary of up to Rs 10,235,
to enable the MRA to credit the applicable Special Allowance to their bank account.
1. The SME should be registered as an employer.
2. The SME has to pay the statutory salary compensation (Rs375/ Rs 235 as the case may be) to each employee in the month it is due.
3. The SME has to submit the contribution returns in respect of all its employees and pay the amount declared on the return by the due date.
4. The turnover of the SME in its preceding accounting year ending in the calendar year 2020 should not have exceeded Rs 50 million.
5. The SME should have submitted its Income Tax return for the years of assessment 19/20 and/or 20/21, as applicable.
6. The SME should not have benefited from wage assistance (tourism sector) in respect of its employees for the period January 2021 to June 2021.
How To Apply
SMEs wishing to benefit from this financial assistance are required to apply to the MRA.
The application should be made through the MRA portal: Click here to be redirected to the MRA website.
The SMEs are required to submit the application for financial assistance only ONCE and same will be considered to cover the period January 2021 to June 2021.
To file the application, the SMEs are required to use their Employer Registration Number (ERN) as user ID and the password allocated by the MRA.
The MRA will carry out the necessary internal checks and verification.
The MRA will then credit the approved amount to the employer’s bank account used by him for payment of monthly social contributiuons.